It was an incredible display of T20 batting in the first India vs West Indies T20 international match. It was probably the best ever!
Sunny Saturday afternoon in Florida brought thousands of Indians and Caribbean fans in America to witness the 1st ever T20I in the United States of America. And what a game it turned out to be, giving Americans a flavor of ‘baseball with a lot of technique.’ 😉
This game was a shattering defeat for the Indians who were inches away from victory. With MS Dhoni on the crease, we are so used to smelling victory in such a situation, aren’t we? But it just didn’t roll our way. Dwayne Bravo had the last laugh when he snatched a 1 run win for the Windies with his acclaimed death-over bowling, after they put up a mammoth total. And to top it all, he pulled off this stunt while MS Dhoni was on crease.
West Indies – 245/6 in 20 overs (Evin Lewis 100, Johnson Charles 79; Ravindra Jadeja 2/39)
India – 244/4 in 20 overs (KL Rahul 110*, Rohit Sharma 62; Dwayne Bravo 2/37)
Result – West Indies won by 1 run
The first T20I saw many records being made and broken.
- This was MS Dhoni’s 325th International Match as the Captain of India. He surpassed Ricky Ponting’s 324. This is the most for any skipper around the world ever!
- West Indies scored 132 runs (132/1) in their first 10-over of their innings. It is the highest first 10-over score by any team after batting first in T20I.
- Stuart Binny conceded 32 runs in single over. It was the jointly second most runs conceded by a bowler in T20I history. Before him, Wayne Parnell (RSA) and Izatullah Dawlatzai (AFG) have done so.
- West Indies total of 246 is the 3rd highest total ever put up inT20I. Sri Lanka holds the top spot with a score of 260/6 against Kenya while Australia comes second with a score of 248/6 against England.
- While chasing the mammoth total of 246, India scored (244/4) in their 20 Overs. This is the highest 2nd innings total in the history of T20I.
- West Indies hit a total of 21 sixes. This is highest ever by any team in a T20I innings.
- Total of 32 sixes were hit during the entire match. Highest in T20I history.
- KL Rahul’s ton is jointly the 2nd fastest 100 with Faf Du Plessis in T20Is.
- KL Rahul became the quickest to score tons in all 3 formats in the world! Taking only 20 innings cumulatively. Rahul is the first Indian to score a 100 on ODI debut. He is also the only batsman to reach 100 with a 6 in all formats of the game!!
- This is also the first time in history that multiple 100s have been scored in a T20I.
- During Rohit Sharma’s 62, he became the 2nd Indian to score over 50 6s in T20Is. The first Indian to do so is Yuvraj Singh who is currently on 71 6s.
- After taking his 50th T20I wicket, Dwayne Bravo became the 3rd cricketer to take 50 wickets and score 1000+ T20I runs. Shahid Afridi and Shakib Al Hasan have achieved this feat earlier.
It is raining records in America.
We are hoping for a strong Indian reply today to get even-steven with the Windies. Fingers Crossed!